Thursday, March 18, 2010

Seaweed for your face

These days everyone seems to using more organic and healthy products. Knowing how good it is, more and more companies are making beauty products that have seaweed in them. Some companies just have sea minerals but that's almost as good. Seawater is full of zinc, iodine, magnesium, and potassium, plus zillions of other trace minerals. And seaweed, which is fed by water itself (unlike plants with roots) exponentially concentrates all the goodness!

The Body Shop has a seaweed line that includes a cleanser, toner, day cream, and night treatment. They use Community Trade bladderwrack seaweed which balances skin tone and clarifies the complexion and moisturizes without clogging pores. I haven't tried this one yet because I'm not sure how my skin will react to the fragrance, but for only $12-20 it's worth trying.

Mario Badescu has a seaweed line as well. You probably know the MB name from using the little bottle with the pink stuff for pimples. I've used that stuff when I had particularly bad spots but woe be to you if you get it in your eyes. Back to the seaweed, I've tried all of their seaweed products and recommend the night lotion and the toner (which is my favorite) but want to warn you to stay away from their cleanser. It seems nice at first it looks creamy, has bits of bladderwrack in it but it is actually very drying and abrasive. Instead use a different wash and then try the Seaweed Cleansing Lotion. It cleans your face with witch hazel and keeps it moisturized and non-inflamed with seaweed. I love this stuff and use it every day. If I were trapped on a desert island and could have only one thing for my skin, this would be it!

La Mer is a fantastically expensive cream used by celebrities like Heather Locklear. The cream has sea minerals infused in it and was supposedly created by a man who once worked for NASA. I've read that this cream is the best thing you can do for your face, but for $130 per ounce I have yet to try it. As soon as I hear back from their online consultation department about the fragrances used I might break down and try it.

Shu Umera has a line of Deep Water facial sprays. These sprays contains over 60 minerals to help enhance skin's moisture balance. Taken from the depths of the ocean, beyond the reach of sunlight, these lightly scented mists rejuvenate the skin, hair, and body. Fortunately for me you can also get unscented. I personally love face sprays and use just evian plain water if I have to. I feel that it helps my face retain moisture and suggest anybody with dry skin give it a try.

Lush  has several different items that use seaweed and sea salt. Aqua Marina is a cleanser that is for sensitive problem skin. It contains calamine and other calming ingredients and comes wrapped in seaweed like sushi. I really wanted this one to work but the fragrance they used (despite being non-synthetic) was too much and caused my face to itch and puff. Ocean Salt is another cleanser but it's for exfoliation. It has vodka, avocado and sea salt in it and despite being harsher was ok for me to use occasionally. They also have a face mask, called B B Seaweed, that can only be bought at the LUSH store due its need to be refrigerated. It has aloe vera, mineral-rich seaweed, honey and rose.

H20 has a whole range of products from shampoo to body wash. This includes facial cleansers but, after having trouble with the scent in their lotions and other body washes, I steer clear of putting this stuff on my face.

While searching for different seaweed products for your face I found Mermaid Beauty Skin Care. Haven't tried it yet but as soon as I know about what fragrances they use I'll give it a whirl.

There's more seaweed beauty product coming up, next time stuff for your whole body!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails