Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mermaid Barbie

As a kid I always wanted a mermaid Barbie even though they didn't have any on the market. I believe the first mermaid barbie came out in 1992, but by then most girls my age were getting out of dolls and I did the same in an effort to fit in. Off an on over the years since then Mattel has released various versions of mermaid barbie, some selling better than others.

In 2006 they went all in with Barbie Mermaidia and even had a movie and a game. Now this March they are releasing Barbie™ In A Mermaid Tale. The press release states "The story follows Merliah™, a surfing champion from Malibu who one day discovers a surprising secret – she's a mermaid! With her new dolphin friend Zuma, Merliah™ sets off on an undersea adventure to rescue her mother, the queen of Oceana.
As with previous Barbie™ releases, “Barbie™ In A Mermaid Tale” is an enchanting mix of music, comedy, superb animation and inspiring messages about friendship, independence and teamwork. The DVD comes packed with bonus material. There's some hilarious outtakes from the film, and the music video for the song "Queen Of The Waves", plus featurette called "I Could Be A Surfer", focusing on Stephanie Gilmore, the world's No.1 female surfer."

And of course Mattel is filling the market with cute mermaid barbie dolls and pretty mermaid accessories for little girls. I saw the most adorable little mermaid skirt and hair extensions at our local Wal-mart. I'm honestly tempted to buy one of those cute mermaids dolls. I better not though. I have too many toys (collectibles) as it is.

1 comment:

  1. Those little mermaid dolls are so adorable. It is not everyday you see dolls with tails instead of legs. Great for kids.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails