Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mermaid Hair; how to and what to use

Every summer it seems wavy mermaid hair is back in! It's always touted as the must have style. But, how to get it?

First, know that I have very sensitive skin and horrible allergies. There are so many beauty products I can't use do to the fragrance (so many I'm allergic to) or me being allergic to the actual ingredients. That being said I love mermaid hair. I crave mermaid hair and there are some products I use to keep my hair shiny, soft and manageable so that I can create beautiful mermaid waves.

First, I look for products with sea weed (I also take Icelandic kelp supplements just to get the max help.)  The reason for this is threefold:
1. Seaweed helps the body prevent absorption of toxic chemicals, including radioactive waste and pollution. It is recommended for use during chemotherapy, or after excessive X-rays.

2. The optimum nutrition in seaweeds gives better immune function, and revitalizes the body in many ways, promoting heart health, better digestion, hormonal balance, nervous system strength, and much more. (“Of the fourteen elements essential to the proper metabolic functions of the human body, thirteen are known to be in Kelp,“ says Dr. J.W. Turentine, ASDA agricultural scientist.)
3. Seaweed promotes the growth of thicker, more lustrous hair. (Some people even claim it helps to regrow hair!) It also makes nails and teeth stronger, and helps skin to be smoother and more even-textured skin.

One of my favorite shampoos is Bumble and Bumble Seaweed Shampoo. It's perfect for anyone although without a good conditioner it can be too drying.

Another great shampoo is Seanik by Lush. This is actually a solid shampoo bar and it lasts forever. It has sea salt to create volume and Nori seaweed to soften and nourish.

One I've tried but found too harsh for my skin is Rusk Deepshine Sea Kelp shampoo. It's supposed to give you lots of shine but it just leaves me itchy. (I have yet to try the Coral Therapy, but will soon.)

Another one I'd like to try is Jason's Plumeria & Sea Kelp Moisturizing Shampoo. It's supposed to strengthen and moisterize your hair. Plus it's organic!

I've also tried Freeman Sea Kelp shampoo and it was too drying.

Frederic Fekkai came out with a Marine Summer Hair line, and while it worked great on my hair, I was so allergic to it that my face got red and swollen.

Each of these has a corresponding conditioner, but none are very intense.

Bumble and Bumble Conditioner is actually more of a detangler than conditioner. It has marine greens that help nourish your hair. I love it for non-intense moisture (for those oily days), plus it has a light scent.

The Deepshine conditioner is a leave-in and I occasionally use it. It's very thin and adds practically no moisture, but it makes your hair nice and shiny and it smells so good.

When my hair needs deep intense moisture I have to spend a bit more money than I like, but it's worth it. Back in 2002ish John Frieda had a Beach Blonde line of shampoos and conditioners for sea/sun/salt damages hair. All the stuff was great, but the star of the show was the Kelp Help Deep Conditioning Masque. It was the most amazing stuff ever. Back in the day I bleached the crap out of my hair and the hair masque always brought it back to soft and supple. Jars of this are now so hard to find (mostly on ebay) but they're worth every penny until I find something better.

There are of course other shampoos and conditioners with seaweed and you should use whatever works best for you.  I am always looking for new stuff to try.

Once you have your conditioner in make sure you comb it through your hair in the shower or bath before you rinse it out. Be sure to use a wide toothed comb like this one by Conair. Be sure to rinse your hair with cool water for maximum shine.

Now that your hair is clean and conditioned it's time to make it wavy. There are a number of options depending on how wavy you want your hair.
1 Braid your hair into lots of little braids (mine is pretty thick so I do about 16-20) and go to bed. When you take the braids out in the morning your hair should be ultra wavy/kinky. You can get similar results with a crimping iron (not sure if they still make those.) Think Darryl Hannah in Splash.
2 Braid your hair into pigtails. When it's about halfway dry take them down. Your hair should have a little wave, but not too much. I do this one when I'm lazy.
3 Use a double or triple barreled curling iron. (I have yet to try this method because I am not good with irons.) Your hair should be right in the middle of the curl spectrum.
4 While your hair is still wet use a curl activator or sea salt spray and scrunch. I recommend Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray.
5 I saved the best method for last! There is a hairdryer called the Remington Airwave/Spin Curl. There is a fabulous review and instructional here at the Yummy Mummy's blog. As long as you do a deep moisturizer or use a leave in conditioner, this is the best for gorgeous mermaid hair. And don't worry it doesn't stay all dreadlocks.

If the wavy look isn't for you try a fishtail braid. I've not mastered them on my own hair yet, but I'm working on it.

Now you should have amazing mermaid hair. But you don't have to stop using seaweed there. There are tons more beauty products that have seaweed in them. I'll post about those soon.

5 comments:

  1. It was a very interesting post, thank you.
    As a Japanese I have eaten / am eating seaweeds so often since childhood without knowing if it is good for body. Some people would say that Iodine might cause some problems, but anyway "too" much is bad for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true 'too much' of anything can be bad. I'd hope that anyone experiencing negative issues from something (diet, supplements, etc) would run to the doctor and find out why. I should probably say don't over do it. lol!
    And please don't think I'm being rude, I'm just curious. I've read that because of the amount of seaweed eaten in Japan people there tend to show the signs of aging more slowly. Do you find this to be true?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that I plan to do more seaweed/beauty posts and I'd love anything you want to add or have to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know which one has which advantage, because we have some seaweeds like Nori, Konbu, Hijiki and Wakame but I do not think that they are the direct reason of Japanese long life.

    One thing I can easily say is, on the supper table we would have lots more small pots or dishes then Westerners. As mentioned "too much" of anything is not good anyway, I think we eat everything in nice balance. We would say that we should eat at least 30 things. We would count like, egg, rice, sesame, radish, carrot.... Japanese diet has been influenced by Western foods but originally it is based on "genmai, beans and vegetables" as it used to be more than 100 years and it might be the reason of long life, but their diet is not only the reason of that.

    Currently I am reading an interesting book "why Japanese do not get old" in Russian which I bought in Moscow last year and its original English title is "The Okinawa program"
    http://www.amazon.com/Okinawa-Program-Longest-Lived-Everlasting-Health/dp/0609607472
    It is worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll definitely check out that book. And thanks so much for the info. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails