Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Brookgreen Gardens

Brookgreen Gardens, in Murrells Inlet, SC, is a lovely sculpture garden. Back in 1932, Anna Hyatt Huntington opened Brookgreen Gardens after acquiring several old rice plantations and some very impressive artwork.

The gardens have beautiful fountains, lovely flora and some of the oldest Oak trees in the US! The also have the Lowcountry Zoo and trails through several ecosystems on the property.

They happen to have two statues from the Childhood of the Gods series by Wheeler Williams, Amphitrite and Neptune. The sculptures are beautiful and not too big. They'd be perfect on a lawn. The day we visited was so freakin' hot! We were sweating and I wore stupid shoes so my feet were killing me. I'd love to go back sometime when it's cooler and spend more time looking at the gorgeous environs. 

2 comments:

  1. First off I would like to tell you I am a native Charlestonian in South Carolina I have some interesting Low Country myths and legends related to mermaid, pirates and a private island just for monkies. I am also a mermaid enthusist like yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to host some of your tales. Please email me at vonthehalfshell@yahoo.com, I'll be looking for your email. I'll be sure to credit and link back to you. Thanks so much!

    This is me btw. I seem to be having trouble (again) with blogger.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails